On the sixth day of Christmas........ my family said to me

Posted on 11 December 2012

The holiday season can be a fun time full of family, friends, parties and great food. However, for anyone living in circumstances where their family is divided, the holiday season can often be stressful, busy and full of anxiety; especially when children are involved.

If this is you, here are a few points to consider to help you get through the Festive Season without putting yourself in a situation where conflict and disputes arise that can roll over into major issues in the New Year.

  • If you have parenting orders in place – make sure that you and the other parent work together to ensure that you both comply with the orders to avoid any dispute. If there are no formal parenting orders in place but you and the other parent have come to an informal arrangement between you both, stick to the arrangement. Don’t decide at the last minute that a different arrangement will work better unless you have discussed the proposed change and the other parent has agreed to that change in writing. You do not want to find yourself in Court in the New Year dealing with a parenting dispute.
  • Do not involve your children in any of your disputes or issues. Your problems and concerns are adult issues; let kids be kids this Christmas and don’t let poor communication between you and your former partner/spouse ruin their Christmas.
  • If things go badly for you this holiday season and you separate with your partner/spouse just before or during this period, you should ensure that you separate any joint funds until you can consult a solicitor and make sure you are joint signatories on any joint accounts.
  • Violence should never be tolerated. If this occurs, call the police immediately.
  • If it becomes evident that counselling is needed by you, your child, or a loved one, seek it early – particularly if you are in a dispute with another family member.

If you find yourself in need of legal assistance in a Family Law matter, our firm can assist, so please contact us.