I swear to never commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women – will you take this oath?
The 25th of November is White Ribbon Day. White Ribbon is an important organisation that works to prevent male violence against women. The best part of this initiative is that it is a male-led campaign that believes that most men are good and that good men abhor such violence. White Ribbon also believes in the capacity of the individual to change and to encourage change in others; to change attitudes and behaviours that lead to and perpetuate violence against women.
Violence against women is a huge problem in Australian society. Many people don’t realise that:
- 1 woman is killed every week by a current or former partner
- 1 in 3 women over the age of 15 report physical or sexual violence at some time in their lives; and
- domestic and family violence is the major cause of homelessness for women and their children, and a recognised form of child abuse.
- (White Ribbon Foundation Australia)
To learn more about this campaign you can visit http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/
If you or someone you know are experiencing violence and need help or support, please contact one of the support services below. For legal assistance in relation to any family law matter, please contact us for a discrete and private initial discussion.
- Police or Ambulance 000
- 24 Hour Sexual Assault, Family and Domestic Violence Counselling Line 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).
- Lifeline can help with crisis service in your State 131 114
- Relationships Australia Support and Counselling 1300 364 277 or www.relationships.com.au
- Kids Help Line telephone counselling for children and young people 1800 551 800
- Domestic Violence Line 1800 65 64 63 or 1800 671 442 TTY (Hearing impaired)
- Rape Crisis Service 1800 424 017
- Interrelate Family Centres 1300 736 966
To find contact details and links to more organisations refer to the Domestic Violence Resource Centre.Back